Monday, July 18, 2016

Tiny Tender Mercies

Hey guys,

So honestly, not the best week. But that's okay, it was just a bad week, not a bad mission or a bad life. And really, it wasn't actually that bad. Just a little rough around the edges.

We saw lots of little miracles this week. Something I've had to learn this transfer is to take the miracles where you can get them, no matter how small. Tiny tender mercies are still tender mercies. They also double as great evidence that our Heavenly Father loves us, is aware of us, and will help us keep going.

Today (July 18), is kind of a special day for me. On July 18, 2015, I opened my mission call and learned that I would be serving in the Canada Halifax Mission. Before I even knew this was where I would be serving, I knew that I needed to be here. I prayed before opening my call and asked Heavenly Father to help me know that the place written on my call was the place he wanted me to be. For those of you who have seen the video of me opening my call (the one where I'm shaking like crazy), you can see the moment that I read Canada Halifax Mission, I knew. I could barely say the words. 

Now that I'm actually here, I'm still finding the reasons why, but I'm grateful for the confidence and peace that comes from knowing I am exactly where God wants me to be.
No matter how much patience and perseverance is required, good things always come to those who love God. It's not always easy to leave our nets or our boats or our families or whatever, but sacrifice has always been necessary to develop the faith needed to one day dwell in the presence of God and receive the gift of eternal life. I've still got a long way to go until that point, but I'm grateful to know that it's possible, because of the Savior. He really lived, He really suffered, He really died, He really was resurrected, He really did call another prophet, He really loves us. 

It kills me because every person walking around this city, at one point, had an understanding of the Plan of Salvation and a hope that comes from being on the side of the Savior. We all chose to come here. For whatever reason, people close their hearts or their minds or both to the truth that God loves them so much that He has a plan for everything to work out, no matter how difficult, or horrible, or scary. He's already figured it out. That is why obedience is so important and so beautiful. God already has a plan in place for everything to work out perfectly. The reason we pray is to align our will with His. As we increase in faithfulness, God increases our faith. And that is where the phrase "peace in this life and happiness in the life to come" comes into play.

Elder Richard G. Scott teaches us "You are one of the noblest of God's creations. His intent is that your life be gloriously beautiful regardless of your circumstances. As you are grateful and obedient, you can become all that God intends you to be." 

Despite humidity, despite postal services going on strike, despite door slams, and "not interested"s, despite the Elders not letting me be on their Pirate Ship team, despite everything else that just blows the flame right off my birthday candles, God intends my life to be beautiful. And I am grateful to be here. I am grateful to serve, regardless of what happens (s/o to Seminary Council 2015). 

Turning into @preachykylie once again ha ha.

Canada is great, missions are great.
Remember that God is God and things will all work out.

Love you!
Sister Park

P.S. Canada Post got their crap together, so we're all good.


When the Elders try to teach you dating tips you've known since you were 16.


It's been one year since I opened my call.


It's been one year since I opened my call.



I opened my call one year ago.



Canoe at a gas station that I would've climbed in if I wasn't a missionary.



Our NB flag. The Elders went out in the parking lot then came back in and knocked on the office door. I opened it and they were all standing there with their arms crossed, super ticked. They're just jealous because they don't have a pirate ship flag.


Costco poutine 


Selfie Sunday


When your companion wants to make dinner but you're starving.


My call came on July 15, dated just the day before (July 14, 2015).


My call and some of my favorite things.


One of the bridges over the river


Super sketchy elevator in an apartment building that we think used to be a hospital?



"Show me in the Bible..."

No comments:

Post a Comment