Monday, November 30, 2015

I made it to Newfoundland

Nov 30, 2015

Hello everyone!
Newfoundland is the coolest! Literally. It's -10 degrees.
I hope everyone had a nice American Thanksgiving! I spent mine road tripping with Elder Sortomme and Elder Siepert to Grand Falls for a zone conference in Gander the next morning. Our Thanksgiving included a few pounds of gummy worms, peach rings, and pies from McDonald's. It was SO MUCH FUN!
So funny story. President Pratt and Sister Pratt finally flew out to Newfoundland and the Edwards had them and the Corner Brook missionaries over for supper on Saturday. At zone conference, President announced that we would be fasting on Sunday as a mission.
So we get to dinner on Saturday night and Sister Crump and I see cinnamon rolls... SCORE. So we all sit down to eat and guess what it is. Chili. Both of us were just like "ohhh no no no. It's okay, there will be cinnamon rolls after." So after we swallow the chili, Sister Edwards brings out pie (which was amazing). In Newfoundland it's common to have two desserts after dinner, so we were like "okay okay pie then cinnamon rolls" but the cinnamon rolls never came... So everyone is getting up to leave and sweet Sister Edwards says "come to the linger longer after church tomorrow, there will be cinnamon rolls!" and Sister Crump and I just looked at each other and both of our brains screamed "WE'RE FASTING TOMORROW". Haha we ended up getting our cinnamon rolls eventually anyways, it was just funny how it worked out.
Later that night we went to a community choir Christmas concert at one of the Anglican churches here. So fun.
On Sunday we went to the senior center and sang Christmas songs again, but this time we brought Dennis. Dennis is a recent convert, he was a Pentecostal before. We call him the PenteMormon, but he wants to switch it to MormonCostal because now he's feeling "more Mormon than ever" haha. He plays the piano AMAZINGLY and just by ear. He went to music school when he was younger but decided that reading music is no fun and he is just so amazingly talented. 
We have a recent convert here named Sarah, she is the best. I was telling her a few days ago how much I miss cooking hot dogs around the fire with my friends. She invited us over for supper on Sunday. It was snowing that day. So we pull up to her house and we see her standing in her garage/shed with the barbecue cooking hot dogs. I love her so much.
The people in Corner Brook are amazing in general, I've never been called "mi love" so many times in my life. Even if they're rejecting your message, they will still call you Love. Or Duckie haha.
The branch here is so small and spread out that people Skype in to church. President came on Sunday and I was asked to bear my testimony and it's just kind of funny to be talking to a camera as well as the people there. The gospel is the same though and I love it!
I hope everyone has a great and safe week.
And a special birthday shout out to my friend KONOR CLEMENTS.
His birthday is on Saturday! I hope it's awesome, Konor!
Thank you everyone for your love and prayers!
Merry Christmas!
All my love,
Sister Park





No comments:

Post a Comment