Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Stephenville, Swan Lake, and Creepy Old Men

Hi guys,

Side note, did you know that missionaries aren't supposed to say "guys"? Apparently it's slang. It probably seems like we have a bunch of small little rules that don't even matter, but we really just are trying to be the best we can be and when we are obedient when it comes to the little things, it's that much easier to be obedient when it comes to the big things.

I miss Sister De Vuyst and Auldrey :(

Last Monday was actually Sister De Vuyst's 20th birthday and the day she left for Arizona. We drove to this...kinda sketchy? part of town because she wanted to go to a thrift store, but the we couldn't find the one she wanted and just yeah, we decided to go home and eat birthday cake instead.

I got a letter from Mama Brown this week! It made my whole week. Thank you so much, Nickole!

We have an investigator that lives in Stephenville, which is like an hour away. So we made a day of it and totally failed at trying to find the addresses of some potentials. After several failed attempts to find a man who lives in a French community out past Lower Cove, we gave up and went to a cute bakery that our investigator, Ivan, recommended. Don't worry, that was our dinner hour. We weren't being disobedient. Stephenville used to be US Air Force base, so all of the streets are named after American states. It was great.

Ivan moved back to Toronto this week :( He bought us more chocolate though from the Newfoundland Chocolate Company. They were little chocolate beach pebbles and they were soooooo good. I'll miss him.

We had a correlation meeting with all the missionaries this week and one Elder was just dying to tell all of us something at the end of the meeting. His companions kept telling him to wait until after the closing prayer. The moment finally came and he was just burst out "Guess what! I got an email saying that they're coming out with a new kind of garments in 2017!!!!" And then we all just stared at him awkwardly. He was so thrilled, it was hilarious. Sister Edwards and I died laughing after the Elders left, ha ha.

Sarah and Sharon had us over for dinner twice this week because they are literally angels. The first night, they got my mom's recipe for Hawaiian Haystacks (which I love). It was the sweetest thing, they were so excited to make them for me. The second time was kinda unexpected. We had salads and we totally ate all of their lettuce. But no worries, we doorbell ditched them later with a head of lettuce and a sign that said "We're grateful you lettuce stay for dinner". My jokes are still as lame as they were when I left, sorry. It's also really hard to be sneaky when you have to wear a skirt. 

A bunch of old men hit on me this week so that's kinda disgusting.When the sun starts coming out, so do all the weirdos. But no worries, we're all children of God and if they're really interested, they will be just as happy to listen to the Elders as they are to listen to us. 

We had games night on Saturday at a member's house in Humber Valley Resort with the branch and it was honestly so much fun. I was just looking around the table while we were playing Five Crowns and I just had the thought, "Wow. I am so happy." It was a good moment. And Sarah won and that's her favorite game, so that made it better.

So yep. I was a grown up and made asparagus last night.

We're going to Trout River and Gros Mourne today with the Elders, the Edwards and Dennis. Trying to see as much of the island as I can while I'm still here. I've been blessed to see a lot more that most missionaries sent here. Also, transfers are coming up, so on the off chance anyone was planning to send me anything, don't. I'll update you with where I am next week. :)

I think that's about everything. Lots of knocking on doors and lots of rejection, but no worries. I hope you like the picture of me dancing in the park. You can take the girl out of Swan Lake, but you can't take Swan Lake out of the girl. It's just a lot harder to do in a pencil skirt.

Love you guys!
Sister Park

No comments:

Post a Comment